Green Tea Vermicelli

The first time I ever tried green tea vermicelli was at a korean restaurant in Hong Kong a few years back! I love green tea anything!! I have this obsession with anti-oxidant foods and I love the taste/scent of green tea!!

I like noodles from time to time, although I am a very fussy eater, I favour in japanese or korean noodles. I only eat noodles that are thick like udon or flat like 'ho fun' chinese ones.I love the texture and how they look, especially when I cook them with vegetables, tofu and an egg!

Green tea vermicelli tastes pure, unique in flavour and kinda weird to look at but I assure you, it looks interesting in a bowl or on a plate! but for some people it can be quite off-putting because of the colour and possibly the smell if they aren't a fan of green tea. I like to try these weird and wonderful things!

I found these unique noodles in a chinese supermarket in the Korean section, I was super excited to buy these and cook them at home!!

In the pack there are 5 handfuls, each handful consists of quite alot for one serving, I would recommend to split them in half if you are cooking for one.
They are seperated with the paper band around them, which is a clever idea because when it comes to cook noodles, we just put in more than we need, especially when you are hungry lol!

Each time I cook these noodles, I use one handful and make 2-3 meals out of them, I cook them with vegetables, tofu, fried egg and sometimes meat so realistically, you don't need that much noodles!

They cook quite fast, within 3-5 minutes they are cooked and they go soggy and stick to the pan so you have to be quick with these bad boys!

It is impossible to boil them then pan fry them as there is too much water in the strands, therefore , they stick to the pan!

Pro's:

  • green tea is known for it's anti-oxidant
  • fun colour on your plate
  • fast to cook
Con's:

  • suitable for noodle soup or dry boiled noodle style
  • sticks to the pan if it gets too soggy
  • unsure how much green tea is in each meal
  • hard to find
  I must admit, the flavour for the noodles aren't as intense as I expected, the freshest green tea noodles have a heavy taste of green tea but this one didn't and i was quite skeptical about finding out how much green tea was actually in these noodles?  I felt like I was conned lol.
Nevertheless, I found something I didnt expect to find and I was so happy to have had the chance to cook it at home and re-live that memory of tasting green tea noodles again!!


I had so much fun cooking with this and it has made my meals very interesting to look at!! I serve mine with slight soup base, tofu, chinese vegetables like pak choi or gai lan, and also a fried egg.


If you are looking for a unique dish and you like noodles or green tea then try this!

XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment